Saturday, January 5, 2013

As in pen and again.

We woke in abrupt unison, fumbling for the phone and made sweet, groggy morning love; staving off the world already clamoring for our heads. - 1/4/13

This was the sweetest morning I have had in longer than I care to remember. I am not looking to live in my past, nor do I wish to cast my hopes to the future. I intend to live firmly in the here and now, celebrating all of existence even when it seems most difficult.


I woke on the morning of the fifth with this poem in my head:

"Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
        if you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
 Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
        I must have you!"
 

It was a very significant poem for my 16 year old self, I remember discovering it around the same time as reading The Great Gatsby in high school. I can spell out the author's name from memory, soley based off of the impact that this poem had on me.His name was Thomas Parke D'Invilliers.
I looked him up today, struck by how seemingly random it was that I woke, vividly remembering such an artifact from half a life ago. He doesn't exist! Thomas Parke D'Invilliers was a pen name for F. Scott Fitzgerald the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment